Tuesday, January 27, 2009

An Important Date to Remember


It all started, Saturday, January 26, 2008. I was at the movies, with my friends. As soon as we left my dad and my mom left at least 5 messages on each of their phones. As I was driving home thinking, “Oh crap I did not tell them where I was, I am in so much trouble.” As soon as I came in the door, my mom comes rushing up to me and says that she has something important to tell me. So she finally tells me with tears in her eye that my brother Tony, has died in a motorcycle accident. As I heard this come out of my mother’s mouth I start balling like no tomorrow and cannot believe what I just heard. After a long time of emotion I go and call my boyfriend and my best friend to tell them the news. They are both in shock and make sure I am ok but as they both know I am not ok. So then after that my parents are calling only my brother, Ben. They did not get a hold of him until late that night and he, as well, cannot believe it has happened. As I go to bed I cannot stop thinking about it, and so Sunday comes around. So my sister, Monique, and I ask my mom if we can have a few friends over and so my best friend, Sabrina, and my boyfriend at the time, Dan, come over and help get my mind off of what happened the previous day. But Finally Monday came around and all I can say that everyone was trying to make me feel better and it did. The first day back my sister made if through only half a day but I made it through the whole day.

After some time, my parents finally decided when they should have the wake, the funeral and where. The wake was on the Super bowl last year and so we were joking about having a plasma television over the casket so we could watch the game since the New England Patriots were playing but we did not. But so after the wake was over his friends from New York, Palatine, and the Naval Academy came over to watch the game and of course there was wonderful food and drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. So for the funerals there were two places that we had them. The first funeral was in Palatine, Illinois on February 4th, 2008. The first part of it we went over to the funeral home so we could close the casket and so it was very emotional. So as soon as we got in the limo to go to the church, there was this HUGE strike of lightening and scared the crap out of everyone. But when we got there it was raining hard and so we all got wet. During the funeral, it was very hard for most of us. After it was over we all went back to my house and just hung around and ate some food.

After a few days we went to the second funeral that was in Annapolis, Maryland on February 7th, 2008. When we got there we went to the church and had a beautiful ceremony, and my brother said the eulogy. The whole church was filled with people. I could not believe how many people truly loved my brother. But after the mass we walked about a half mile to the grave he was going to get buried in. So we got there and sat down and so the priest said another few things and then the soldier that carried his casket folded the flag and handed it to my mother. After we finish the ceremony burial, we went to the alumni center to meet some more people and to hear how they felt about my brother. The whole time I was there I felt like I was in some movie, it felt so surreal. But in the long run I feel like it helped me see how much my brother was seen from other people, but it also sucks that I did not see him in that light. And recently I have got a tattoo for him and so did a lot of friends of his. I feel like since I have a tattoo that he will always be with me more.

2 comments:

  1. Christine -
    I can't even imagine going through something like that. I have an older sister and couldn't imagine if anything were to ever happen to her (even though we still fight - even at our ages!). I really appreciate your honesty and sincerity - I wish you and your family the best -
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even imagine having to go through that...
    You must be a strong person.

    ReplyDelete